Alphabet Snack: “B” is for Blue Ringed Octopus

WORLD’S MOST POISONOUS OCTOPUS.

This golf ball sized octopus can be found in the shallow coral reef of Australia.

BLUE RINGED OCTOPUS

~ Crescent ~ Olives ~ Blue Food Coloring ~

CLICK BELOW FOR MORE INFO

Blue Ringed Octopus

{ I think it’s really pretty. From a distance of course. }

Blue Ringed Octopus

~ Crescent ~ Olives ~ Blue Food Coloring ~

Take the crescent roll dough out and seperate them.
Using one triangle piece, cut as shown:

{ Cut 8 legs, not 5 :) }

Roll the top down towards the legs.

Now place it on a cookie sheet or pizza stone and arrange legs.

{ This one has 8 legs!! }

Bake as directed on the package.  Let cool.  Use a little dot of blue food coloring for the spots and sliced olives for the rings.  I assure you, this one is NOT poisonous!!

INTERESTING FACTS

1. The blue-ringed octopus, like all octopuses, has three hearts and blue blood.
2. The blue-ringed octopus has no skeleton, which makes it very flexible and maneuverable.
3. It starts life the size of a pea and is fully grown at about the size of a golf ball.
4. It carries enough poison to kill 26 adults within minutes.
{YIKES!!}
5. It uses a bird-like beak to bite through the shells of its prey.
6. If an octopus loses an arm, it can grow back.

MORE INFO

Enchanted Learning

Did You Know

National Geographic

FUN ACTIVITIES

Blue Ringed Octopus Coloring Pages

A whole page of Octopus crafts

Printable Preschool Octopus Craft

3D Windsock Instructions HERE.  Printout HERE.
{ We drew rings on ours to make it look like the Blue RInged Octopus. }

Here’s a video from National Geographic that is very cool.  There is a segmant that shows an octopus crawling over a bottle.  It shows you just how small they really are!!
CLICK HERE

• At 2009.01.06 06:37, D'Art said:

You, my love are a genius!

• At 2009.01.06 09:46, Kellie said:

Awe…thanks baby!!

• At 2009.01.06 09:47, Heather said:

He’s cute!! I love the photo of your craft! :)

• At 2009.01.06 09:57, Kellie said:

how sad is it that it’s Jan and my daughter was outside in a tank top and a skirt??

• At 2009.01.06 14:32, The Sugar Fairy said:

Maybe I’m just partial to all things Ausralian but this is great!

• At 2009.01.06 18:57, Kellie said:

Partiality is good. And who doesn’t love Australia?? Okay, there might be a few…but not many!!

• […] “B” is for Blue Ringed Octopus […]

• At 2009.04.22 16:15, Rebecca said:

My daughter is doing her report for 3rd grade on the Blue Ringed Octopus and we are totally making your food idea for her presentation. Thank you soo much.
            Rebecca and Harley Royer
            Oregon, USA

• At 2009.04.23 06:13, Kellie said:

AWESOME!!! I hope she does really well with her report!! I would LOVE to see a pic of her and the nummie!!!

• At 2009.05.15 15:11, Rebecca and Harley said:

My daughter Harley, had so much fun giving her report about the Blue Ringed Octopus today, and your recipe for the crescent rolls was a huge success in her classroom.
              THanks again
              Harley and Rebecca
              go to these websites to view the pics

• At 2009.05.18 09:48, Kellie said:

AWESOME!!! I can’t see the pics though. Maybe sent them in an attachment to me. I would LOVE to see them!!!

• At 2010.04.17 14:24, Megan Berry said:

Hey! My daughter and I made these for preschool snack and they were a huge hit! Thank you so much for sharing this (and many more) great ideas. I’m so happy that I discovered your blog. I have a lot of exploring left to do here for future preschool snack ideas!